05 October 2009

Travis Tyrone Adams


Espana
I promise he's not pooing in the plastic bag, just making sure his footing is proper for cooking


Travis Adams and I met long ago under lucid star lit skies, immersed in desert harmonies of coyotes howling, rattle snakes rattlin’, rabbits scurrying, quails tweeting, havalinas grunting, and black snypes whispering the secrets of the arid climate to the passing tumbleweeds and the saguaros cacti. Travis and I were introduced by our mutual friend Matthew S. Quire Kluvo IIV, and I wasn’t the least bit surprised to see them ride out on horses with the Second Amendment strapped to their belts ,chew it their bottom lips, and the skill to herd and lasso any female passerby’s. Visiting AZ was liberating and I knew the wind on the west coast blew in a different direction. I was fortunate enough to become acquainted with Travis and his family, as they treated me like his younger brother and allowed me to raid the pantry at whim. Only now as a young man am I able to truly appreciate the welcoming arms of the Adams family, a reception that was guaranteed to be warmer than the desert winds. As the youngest of the clan Mr. Travis Adams turned out to be an immediate reflection of his family’s benevolence and altruism, a saint among men who lives mindfully with a stable smile larger than the ol’ Grand Canyon gorge. If Travis would have been consummated in the 16th century rather than the 20th, the Pueblo chiefs would have nicknamed him “Smiles Wide”, but instead he was anointed with the title Trav Digi; “yea you know who is he, stuck to yo ass like a Victoria Secret wedgie”.

Mr. Travis Adams, you are a dear friend of mine; you showed me the customs of the desert, we’ve jumped naked off rocks together (or perhaps you just took photos of me diving of rocks, naked and free in the pristine AZ wilderness…I can’t recall if you were naked but I know I was), you got me stoned for the first time, and in the 14 years that I’ve known you, you have been an astonishing friend and an extremely modest person. How did you mature to be such a remarkable, handsome, well rounded individual in a world that is known to be corrupted by chaos, greed, envy, lust, gluttony, and hatred?
Heh heh...because I don't care. I just cruise. Nah, I dunno. I’m not even sure if any of that's true. Except showing you the desert, humping off rocks (though I wasn't naked. You and Matt, maybe. I do remember when you were in the water and Matt crapped in some dirt, rolled it up, and threw it at you in the lake. It was there, floating near your face, and as it lost its sand, you then realized what it was.) But, uhhhh...yeah, besides being unbelievably attractive, I’m not so sure that I’m remarkable by any means, nor well rounded. All I know is skateboarding, lurking, and good timin'. And everything else I’ve learned along the way I’ve forgotten. Six and a half years of college down the drain. I know how to cruise around with my pals and smile, that's it.
Travis, my boy, I am claiming to have graced you with the ever popular AKA “Trav Digi”, as well as “Travis Digital”. How have these AKAs affected your life in terms of love, identity, pride, and the ever changing world of business?
I wish I had a different nickname, something cool, like "dying baby bird", heh heh.
The Trav Digi nickname has definitely helped pull some suspicious females back to ungodly situations. Some skeletons buried in my closet, for sure. But maybe not, I’m not sure. I dunno about this question, really. Only Tampa heads call me tha digi dude. It’s humbling, though, because Tampa niggas are down for nicknames. The only other nickname I’ve ever had was "a horse". That one sucks....and I guess "t-rav" is also a nickname people call me. But it's not really much of a nickname, so it doesn't count.
Trav Digi, you are certainly skilled in the arts. Your dexterity with a blade is above par, your illustrations make people smile, and your cinematography aptitude is marvelous, hence the AKA Travis Digital. Do you favor a specific artistic passion, what artists influence your mental, and how do feel about the industry that you currently associate yourself with?
Again, I think I just get lucky. When I watch the shit I film, I wonder how I’ve been piggybacking off this shit for so long. I guess I just have good friends who are tolerable with sketchy filming. As far as what I favor? I just like to see cool shit happen, hence the reason I film ten year-old skateboarders.
As for art, the only "art" I find myself doing is griptape art on my skateboards. I was runnin' the Shaqueefa ones for maybe 26 boards strong, but I got over it, and haven't found any of the later ones to be so nice. Pretty bummed that I’m losing grip-art creativity. But I do got one gem that I’ve held onto for a minute now, it's got a quail and down the side I cut out, "quail runner". Hyped on that, and this one I did with a cantaloupe. The industry? I’m assuming you're inquiring about the skateboard industry? Well, it's a hate/hate industry. I love skateboarding. I hate the bullshit behind it, though. One thing that comes to mind is this slap tee, "skateboarding: I love it so much I want it to die." I say this, because there's too much bullshit in the industry. Too many shit companies. Too many little kids who get lucky jumping down a million steps, and go pro without doing anything that will stand the test of time, whereas I see legitimate skateboarders who love it with all their soul, who will never see the time of day. They don't have a "marketable" image, thus they are looked past. That bothers me. But I’m not the old guy at the parks telling the kids how it "used to be". I just roll around, and like the sound, blah blah blah. Nobody's reading anymore, so I’m just gonna throw it out there that Adam burnt his baby maker on an apple pie, after we'd robbed a bakery on my first trip to Florida.
Mr. Adams. You are a romantic. You met a woman in Europa and swept her off her feet, tossed her onto your magical flying rug, and you both flew into the heavens together. After making an emotional affinity with each other, you decided to leap across the Atlantic Ocean where you landed safely in Barcelona, Spain. How has the metamorphosis of your current existence panned out and what does the future hold for you, my friend?
Thank god for roofies. All I do is all I know. I wake up, wonder how I made it home, I look around on the net, I skate a few hours, maybe film a couple tricks, slug back some beers, come home, make whoop, eat, drink some drink, sleep, and repeat. Same thing I’d be doing back in Arizona, just with different scenery. Actually, I went to a gay/nude beach today, watched the waves and drank a mountain dew. Those are the things I do differently, living out here.
There was a time when I was naïve and biased to the gift of individuality. I sized-up my fellow brethren and made assumptions and allotted stereotypes based on outer appearances and peoples’ characters. Now, as a grown man with no time for slippin’ I know better than to waste my energy and time on such childish pastimes. However, you, Trav Digi, have never been one to mock the weak or confused, the trendy or the originals, or even take sides with elites or the ordinaries. Please tell us how you manage to BE YOU?
I dig the underdogs. They have better stories. As for outer images, it's funny because people change so much with current trends. I think it's funny. Shit, I still wear tee shirts that I got ten years ago. Maybe it's that I don't buy clothing, and shit comes nowadays so few and far between, but I just take what I can get, and run with it. I can't say I’m not influenced by others' gear, though. Shit, I went to Mervyn’s with my pops one day a few years back, and had him buy me women’s' pants. Bet he never saw that one coming! I like variety. I like to have all the homies together. Its good times when you got gangster-ass fools going shot for shot of bourbon with die hard punk rockers, because in the end, we're all just shit cruising around. Everyone’s a badass if you give them the time of day. Do what you love what you do what you love what you do. Feel mehhhh?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment